Internet Commerce and the Economics of Information Goods
Note: Many of the links below are to early, working
paper versions of the listed paper, which may differ from the final,
published version. Please contact the respective publishers for
the final versions. If you need Adobe Acrobat, you can get a free
- Erik Brynjolfsson, Paul Hofmann, John Jordan, Cloud Computing and Electricity: Beyond the Utility Model, Communications of the ACM, Vol. 53, No. 5, pp. 32-34 (May 2010).
- Simester, Duncan, Hu, Yu (Jeffrey), Brynjolfsson, Erik and Anderson, Eric, "Dynamics of Retail Advertising: Evidence from a Field Experiment" Economic Inquiry, (Forthcoming 2008) [Click here for abstract and Working Paper version]
- Brynjolfsson, Erik, Hu, Yu Jeffrey and Simester, Duncan, "Goodbye Pareto Principle, Hello Long Tail: The Effect of Search Costs on the Concentration of Product Sales" MIT Center for Digital Business Working Paper, (December 2006). [Click here for the Working Paper version]
- Brynjolfsson, Erik and Zhang, Xiaoquan "Michael", Innovation Incentives for Information Goods, Innovation Policy and the Economy, Vol. 7, pp. 99-123, 2006.
- Brynjolfsson, Erik, Hu, Yu Jeffrey and Smith, Michael D., From Niches to Riches: Anatomy of the Long Tail, MIT Sloan Management Review, (Summer 2006).
- Brynjolfsson, Erik, Michael
D. Smith, and Yu (Jeffrey) Hu, (November 2003) "Consumer
Surplus in the Digital Economy: Estimating the Value of Increased
Product Variety at Online Booksellers" Management Science,
Vol. 49, No. 11 (In Press) [Click
here for the Working Paper version]
- Brynjolfsson, Erik and Kahin,
Brian, (October 2000) Understanding the Digital Economy, MIT
- Brynjolfsson, Erik, and Smith, Michael (July 2000) The
Great Equalizer? Consumer Choice Behavior at Internet Shopbots,
MIT Working Paper. [Click
here for the abstract][Acrobat
PDF file 434K]
- Smith, Michael.D, Bailey, Joseph, and Brynjolfsson, Erik (2000)
Digital Markets: Review and Assessment, MIT Press, pp. 276-288.
- Brynjolfsson, Erik and Smith, Michael (April 2000) Frictionless
Commerce? A Comparison of Internet and Conventional Retailers,
Management Science, Vol. 46, No. 4.[Acrobat
PDF file 136K]
- Bakos, Yannis
and Brynjolfsson, Erik (January 2000) Bundling and Competition
on the Internet: Aggregation Strategies for Information Goods,
Marketing science, Vol. 19, No. 1 pp. 63-82. [Click
here for the abstract] [Acrobat
PDF file 200K].
- Bakos, Yannis, Brynjolfsson, Erik and Lichtman,
Douglas (April 1999) Shared Information
Goods, Journal of Law and Economics, Vol. 42, No.
- Bakos, Yannis and Brynjolfsson, Erik (December 1999) Bundling
Information Goods: Pricing, Profits and Efficiency, Management
Science, Vol. 45, No. 12 pp. 1613-1630. [Click
here for abstract] [Click
here for an HTML version]
- Bakos, Yannis and Brynjolfsson, Erik Aggregation
and Disaggregation of Information Goods: Implications for Bundling,
Site Licensing and Micropayment Systems,"
in Proceedings of Internet Publishing and Beyond: The Economics
of Digital Information and Intellectual Property. [Click
here for the abstract] [Click
here for an HTML version]
Marshall V and Brynjolfsson, Erik (November
Access and Narrower Focus: Could the Internet Balkanize Science?
(14k) Science, Vol. 274, No. 5291
pp. 1479-1480. [
Link to published version. Requires subscription to Science
- Alstyne, Marshall V and Brynjolfsson, Erik (1996)
Communities: Global Village or Cyberbalkanization? (106 K)
Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems,
Cleveland, Ohio, Awarded "Best Paper on Conference Theme").
- Alstyne, Marshall V and Brynjolfsson, Erik (1995)
Communications Networks and the Rise of an Information Elite --
Do Computers Help the Rich get Richer? Proceedings of the International
Conference on Information Systems, Amsterdam. [Acrobat
PDF file 183K]
Last updated June 30, 2014